ActewAGL Retail (ABN 46 221 314 841) (“We/us/our”)
You do not have to provide us with your personal information. However, if you do not, we may not be able to provide you with information or energy you request or important notices in relation to our supply and your use of energy.
We collect information that is reasonably necessary for us to provide you with information or energy you have requested from us, and to manage our obligations to you under any customer contract or applicable law.
We will only collect your sensitive information if you have provided us with consent to do so. Where practicable, we will give you the option of interacting with us anonymously.
The information we collect and hold generally includes your name (and satisfactory evidence of identity), supply address, billing address and contact details (such as your phone number(s), fax number and/or email address).
However, we may also collect and hold other information required to provide services or assistance to you, including your energy usage, metering data, emergency contact details, sensitive information (for example, life support equipment at your premises) and information necessary to assess your creditworthiness.
We may collect your information in various ways, including via telephone, our website, hard copy forms or email.
Whenever you choose to deal with us directly, we will collect this information directly from you. However, there may be occasions when we collect your information from someone else. This may include ActewAGL authorised representatives, our contracted service providers, agents or related entities and/or anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf.
On all occasions, your information is collected, held, used and disclosed by us in accordance with this policy and the Australian Privacy Principles.
We only use your information for the purpose for which it was provided to us, related purposes that you would reasonably expect and as permitted or required by law. Such purposes include:
- responding to your inquiries, complaints and claims in relation to the sale and supply of energy;
- supplying energy to your premises and related assistance (for example, processing requests for energy, managing supply, communicating metering/usage information);
- managing billing (for example, payments, reminders, payment options and processing payments you have authorised);
- credit management, including assessing your creditworthiness;
- complying with our obligations under any contract with you or applicable law;
- processing your survey or questionnaire responses for the purpose(s) notified in the survey or questionnaire (if you have chosen to participate in such);
- for market research so that we can better understand our customers' needs and tailor our future products and services accordingly;
- providing you with marketing information regarding products and services (of ours or of a third party) which we believe may be of interest to you, but only if you have not opted out of receiving such information;
- reporting to our shareholders, parent companies or their shareholders;
- quality assurance and training purposes; and
- any other purposes identified at the time of collecting your information.
However, we will only use your sensitive information for the purposes for which it was initially collected, other directly related purposes or purposes to which you otherwise consent.
If you are not a customer (for example, if you are a supplier or other third party), your information will only be used for the specific purpose for which it was provided to us, unless you have consented to other uses.
We may disclose your information to our related entities and third parties who provide services to us or on our behalf, including:
- utility services providers (for example, where necessary to supply energy, cross check the accuracy of your contact details or otherwise required or permitted by law);
- our external IT service providers, infrastructure and other third party service providers;
- mailing houses and marketing or research companies;
- in the case of some claims (or likely claims), assessors, repairers, builders, and investigators;
- parties that assess creditworthiness or assist in recovery against you if you are in breach of your obligations;
- government bodies, regulators, law enforcement agencies and any other parties where required by law; and
- other entities that may offer you related energy products or services if you have opted-in to receive such information.
We will only disclose your sensitive information for the purposes for which it was initially collected, other directly related purposes or purposes to which you consent.
From time to time, we contract with service providers located in countries outside of Australia (eg, New Zealand, India, Philippines, Fiji, and South Africa). We will take reasonable steps (eg, contractual measures) to ensure that these providers comply with the Australian Privacy Principles.
We take reasonable steps to ensure the information we collect and hold about you is accurate, up-to-date and complete, and if used or disclosed, also relevant.
Please let us know as soon as possible if there are any changes to your information or if you believe the information we hold about you is not accurate, complete, up-to-date or is otherwise misleading.
By law, customers must promptly tell us if their information (eg, contact details, billing address, use of utility service) changes.
We will, on request, provide you with access to the information we hold about you unless we are prohibited by law from doing so or may withhold access. We will notify you of the basis for any refusal to allow you access your information. We may ask you to complete a ‘Personal Information Access Request Form’ which can be found on the Documents and Forms tab and may charge you a service fee for retrieving and sending the information to you.
We will refer your inquiry or complaint to our Privacy Officer. They will, within a reasonable time, investigate the issue and determine the steps that we will undertake to resolve any complaints. We will contact you if we require any additional information from you and will notify you in writing of the response or determination of our Privacy Officer.
If you are not satisfied with our response or determination, you can contact us or raise your concerns with the Australian Privacy Commissioner via www.oaic.gov.au.
ActewAGL is committed to the protection of your information and takes reasonable and proactive steps (including those required by law) to implement cybersecurity controls and procedures. For any payments you make via our websites, we use a payment service provider that conforms with the Public Card Information Data Security Standard (PCI DSS); providing confidence and assurance that your payment information is protected. Additionally, our website and all information you transfer to us via the website, is protected, secured and encrypted using industry-standard technology.
Whilst reasonable and proactive steps are taken to protect your information, ActewAGL recognises and understands that no system is completely secure.
To improve the security of your information, you have a responsibility to maintain security of your account through the use of strong passwords, storing your passwords safely, not sharing them with anyone else and ensuring that you log out of your account when not in use. You should also ensure that you have sufficient security on the devices you use to access ActewAGL’s website, which includes ensuring that your malware protection, browser and operating system are up-to-date with the latest available updates and patches. If you know or suspect that your account information (such as your password) has been compromised, you should notify us as soon as possible on 13 14 93.
ActewAGL websites use industry-standard encryption to secure information in transit. Details of the encryption can be viewed in the certificate that accompanies our website by clicking the padlock icon in your browser’s address bar.
Information collected through the use of this website
To enable all functionality provided by this website, information must be collected from you and your device. This information is stored in a ‘cookie’ that is stored in your device’s browser and retrieved by our servers when required. This cookie includes information about your browser settings to ensure that the information provided to your device can be displayed correctly. Your use of the website is also contained in the cookie, to know for instance, whether you are logged into your ActewAGL account.
You can configure your browser to either accept all cookies, reject all cookies or to notify you when a cookie is being sent to your device. The ‘help function’ on your browser will provide you with details on how to change your browser configuration. You may choose to reject cookies, however, it may affect your ability to use some desired functionality of this website.
In addition, information not capable of identifying you, such as the number of users visiting this website, may also be captured and used by ActewAGL to improve its service offering.